We are committed to protecting our natural environment, supporting the local, rural economy and being a socially responsible business.
This is how we do it:
- Generate renewable energy on site using Solar PV Panels and a Biomass boiler to heat the Farmhouse self-catering and indoor swimming pool. Wood burners in the Bothy, Flint and farmhouse are powered by wood from the farm.
- Turn off the lights. We display “reminder” signs to ask guests to switch off their lights before they leave – it’s amazing how many people leave them on…
- Save water: Our Policy is not to replace towels during your stay unless specifically requested. We harvest rain water for watering the vegetable patch and practice drought resistant gardening.
- Stringent recycling policy. All of our guests are provided with separate recycling bins and provide plenty of information regarding what they can recycle during their stay.
- Protect and enhance the natural environment by utilising organic farming methods and participating in environmental protection schemes in partnership with local conservation groups e.g. RSPB, Dorset Wildlife Trust, FWAG.
- Encourage the use of sustainable transport Local bus and train time table information is provided as well as secure storage for bikes
- Drive less. We provide itineraries for car-free days out and circular cycling and walking routes from the farm gate.
- Support the local economy by using local businesses for products and services and directing guests to local businesses through a series of “Five of the Best” local guides.
- Involve community groups in the farm by offering farm tours and encourage access by local interest groups when the environment and the community will benefit e.g. bird watchers, archaeologists, bee keepers.
- Provide financial and in-kind support for local and national charities and charitable events including Witcahmpton Village School & Pre School, the Tarrant Valley 10km race, River Tarrant Protection Society and the Tarrant Monkton & Launceston Village Hall.
- Strive to improve. Be open to new ideas, respond to feedback, learn from our mistakes to ensure we build a responsible business we can all be proud of for generations to come.