Our Sustainable Business
We are committed to protecting our natural environment, supporting the local, rural economy and being a socially responsible business.
This is how we do it:
- Generate renewable energy on site using Solar PV Panels and a Biomass boiler to heat the Farmhouse self-catering and indoor swimming pool. Wood burners in the Bothy, Flint and farmhouse are powered by wood from the farm.
- Protect and enhance the natural environment by utilising organic farming methods and participating in environmental protection schemes in partnership with local conservation groups e.g. RSPB, Dorset Wildlife Trust, Farming and Wildlife Advisory Group.
- Encourage the use of sustainable transport. We offer a 10% refund on accommodation costs for all guests staying in The Bothy and Flint if they use sustainable methods of transport to get to us and during their stay.
- Drive less. We provide itineraries for car-free days out and circular cycling and walking routes from the farm gate as well as secure storage for bikes.
- Reducing plastic. We are committed to removing all single use plastic from the Farmhouse and cottages. Our housekeeping team use Ecover cleaning products which are refilled rather than recycled and we use refills for washing up liquid, washing liquid, shampoo, body wash and hand soap in all of our accommodation.
- Support the local economy by using local businesses for products and services and directing guests to local businesses through our in depth local guides.
- Involve community groups in the farm by offering farm tours and educational days for school children linking food and farming, as well as encouraging access by local interest groups with
an environmental and/or community focus e.g. bird watchers, archaeologists, bee keepers.
- Provide financial and in-kind support for local and national charities and charitable events including the Tarrant Valley 10km race, River Tarrant Protection Society and the Tarrant Monkton & Launceston Village Hall.
- Turn off the lights. We display “reminder” signs to ask guests to switch off their lights.
- Save water. Our Policy is not to replace towels during your stay. We harvest rain water for watering the vegetable patch and practice drought resistant gardening.
- Stringent recycling policy. All of our guests are provided with separate recycling bins and we provide comprehensive guides detailing exactly what is recyclable.
- Strive to improve. Be open to new ideas, respond to feedback, learn from our mistakes to ensure we build a responsible business we can all be proud of for generations to come.